Sunday, January 09, 2011

Pumped up Kicks

So it's probably old news but I think Shazam is the best iphone app in the world. Thanks to Shazam I was able to find this little gem today:
Ok, so yeah this song is a little creepy. When Pearl Jam came out with "Jeremy" the video was pretty intense. Jeremy was inspired by a true story of a teenage boy who killed himself in front of his classmates by shooting himself in the mouth. I always thought that in the video, Jeremy killed his whole class because they never showed him dead, just a lot of blood. But that was due to some rules on MTV where apparently, they can't show kids shooting themselves in the mouth. Only now, as I googled "Jeremy Pearl Jam" did I read an article by the director who explained the final scene and pool of blood. Anyhoot, this song broaches a similar topic. Kid & guns = bad times. Jeremy came at the right time, the idea of kids and guns was scary and so the song was a little scary. Now we're so used to it, we're able to make catchy surfer songs about it. I remember in school they'd say things like "Guns don't kill people, people do". Kids kill people too (and themselves). Sad sad sad. But this song makes me happy. Yay me.

No comments: